"Skimming" is the theft of debit or credit card information used in a legitimate transaction. There are a number of different skimming techniques, but each involve a small, electronic storage device that traps information from the magnetic strip on a consumer's debit or credit card when it is swiped during a transaction.
Here are some tips to reduce the risk of skimming and ATM fraud are the following:
- When using an ATM or paying at a gas station, examine the card reader carefully
- If you have any suspicion about an ATM or any machine containing a card reader, do not use it
- Make sure that no one can observe you entering your PIN when using an ATM
- To protect your PIN details, cover your hand when entering your PIN at an ATM
- Be discreet when withdrawing cash at an ATM